Summertime is the perfect time to experiment with new recipes. I love refreshing, light recipes on hot summer days! I am a huuuge seafood fan, and ceviche is one of my favorite things, and it’s surprisingly easy to make at home! I’m going to share my go-to recipe, with a sweet and spicy twist!
When it comes to buying and eating raw fish, you need to be a little more cautious than buying, say, ground beef. We have an awesome farmer’s market downtown, and I pick up fresh fish from there. If I’m not eating it/cooking it right away, I get it sealed up and in the fridge ASAP.
What you need:
- 10 pieces of shrimp
- 1 filet of tilapia
- 4 limes juiced
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- optional: 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
What you do:
1. Cut your shrimp and tilapia into bite size pieces, and place in a bowl.
2. Juice your limes, and mix to coat all the fish. Add in the green onions and jalapeños.
3. Cover, and place in the fridge. Let it sit about 4 hours. You’ll know it’s ready when the tilapia has turned white!
4. Remove from fridge, add mango, avocado, salt, pepper, and mix well.
5. Top with cilantro, if desired. Serve cold with tortilla chips!
Doesn’t that just look like summer to you? It’s one of those dishes that looks way more complicated and gourmet than it actually is? The trick is just to make sure everything is diced and chopped nice and small, like pico! Happy snacking!