Just in time for Fall football tailgates and chilly weekends, I am sharing my cheesy taco dip slow cooker recipe! I actually made this last week for one of Dave’s Fantasy Football Drafts. At one point, someone asked who made the “amazing dip”, and everyone else chimed in. This is a definite crowd-pleaser, and perfect to pair with chips!
Cheesy Taco Dip Slow Cooker Recipe
This is a relatively low-maintenance recipe, but does involve some “prep work”. Keep reading for the recipe, or watch this short Reel video from Instagram:
View this post on Instagram
1 lb ground beef
velveeta cheese block
medium chunky salsa (whole jar)
1 hot & spicy taco seasoning packet
1/2 cup of diced onions
1 can of diced green chilies (mild or hot, to taste!)
A slow cooker
Optional: slow cooker bag! (Saves you from cleaning up hardened cheese!)
** This recipe serves 20-30.
- Start by browning the ground beef in a saucepan. Halfway through, add the diced onion.
- Once the meat is fully browned, drain, and pour the ground beef and onion mixture into your slow cooker.
- Top the ground beef mixture with the cheese, salsa, chilies, and taco seasoning. No need to mix!
- Cook on low 4-6 hours. Stir to mix halfway through.
- Once it’s ready, switch your slow cooker to “warm”, so you’re not still cooking it, but so the cheese stays melted.
- Serve with chips, shredded cheese, and/or guacamole!
I have a larger crockpot, but use this smaller size for making dips. It’s much easier to transport, and I find it fits this recipe perfectly!
The last time I made this recipe was the first time I’ve ever used a slow cooker liner. OMG GUYS. The bag was a little annoying at first, since I was fitting it into a rather small crockpot, but clean-up was a breeze! We took this to our friends’ house for the draft, and then transported it home. It was late and I was not in the mood to scrub hardened cheese out of my slow cooker. There was virtually no mess with the liner bag. 👏🏻
If you’re making this recipe for kids, or just aren’t a fan of super-spicy things, you can sub the Hot & Spicy taco seasonings for regular taco seasoning (or a low sodium option), and you will have a more mild heat level!
Check out another family-favorite crockpot recipe here for white chicken chili!
Happy dipping! 😉