I generally half the recipe if I’m making it for David and myself, since the girls won’t eat it, but if we are having company, I follow the recipe below.
What you need:
- 2 cups of long grain rice
- 13.5oz can of coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (I use red, yellow, and orange!)
- 1/2 cup diced red opion
- 15 oz can of pineapple tidbits (drain, but keep the juice!!)
- 4.5 oz can of chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeños
- chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Shrimp (I used a box of frozen breaded shrimp, and cooked according to the package)
What you do:
- Mix: rice, coconut milk, garlic cloves, salt, all spice, cayenne pepper, and the pineapple juice to a medium pot. Fill the coconut milk can with water, and add that. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and re-cover, over low heat. Allow the rice to cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- While the rice milk mix is cooking, add the butter to a large pan. Sauté the peppers and onions until slightly soft (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat, add the pineapple tidbits, green chilies, and jalapeños and mix.
- While all that is going on, cook your shrimp. I went the easy route and baked frozen shrimp according to package instructions.
- When the rice is ready, pour it over the pineapple and pepper mix, and stir well.
- Serve on a plate, and add the shrimp. Garnish with cilantro, and add pepper to taste.
The full recipe would be enough for David and me to eat, and have a full meal of leftovers, but if you’re serving 4-5 people, it would be the perfect amount. If you make this, I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it!