Is there anything better than aimlessly wandering the festively-themed holiday aisles at Target? I just don’t think so. Each aisle holds so much potential! Our last visit to Target had us face-to-face with a box of Strawberry Cake Mix – an obvious need.
We checked out and headed home with every intention of making strawberry cupcakes (you know, just to celebrate Monday), when I decided to get really crazy and make cake mix cookies. If you haven’t made these before, they will change your opinions on cake, cookies, and probably your entire outlook on life. Maybe.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 box of strawberry cake mix
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
WHAT YOU DO:
- Preheat over to 350 degrees, and line your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix your cake mix and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, add your eggs, oil, and vanilla. Whisk by hand until everything is well-mixed.
- Slowly pour your wet ingredients into your bowl with dry ingredients. Stir by hand until a soft dough forms. (Make sure you break up all the dry ingredients and air pockets!)
- Add in, and mix, the chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded balls of dough onto prepared baking sheets. Pro tip: make sure your balls of dough are taller than they are wide – since cake mix tends to grow more than traditional cookie dough in the oven!)
- Optional: Press a few chocolate chips into the tops of the dough balls, for looks.
- Bake cookies 9-11 minutes, do NOT let the tops of the cookies turn brown.The cookies will be very soft at first. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet about 2 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies may be stored in an air-tight container up to one week.
The hardest part about making these cookies is not eating them all in one sitting!