I know what you’re thinking. “Who needs a recipe for sloppy joes?!” You do. Well, at least you need this one. It was born over the summer, when we were all staying at the lake house, and had a lot of food, but no solid “meal ideas”. Sharon to the rescue!! She swore me to secrecy, to not tell the guys what was in the sloppy joes, but given that everyone had a third helping, it’s a secret that should be shared!
What you need:
- 1 lb ground beef (adjust to how many people you are serving)
- 1/2 a zucchini, washed and chopped
- 1 cup of salsa (we used Pace chunky salsa)
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- nice drizzle of ketchup and BBQ
- garlic powder, pepper
What you do:
- Brown the meat in a frying pan, drain, and return to low heat.
- Add in the zucchini and onion, and mix well.
- Add the salsa, ketchup, and BBQ. I don’t measure this, but I add until I get a texture I like (not too runny, but everything should be coated. Sprinkle and stir in the garlic powder and pepper.
- Serve on buns and enjoy!
Anytime you can sneak a veggie into an old favorite, I say why not! I’ve made thus a handful of times since the lake house this summer, and Dave and I always eat an embarrassing amount! If you make this, I’d love to hear how you liked it, or how you tweaked it!