Those long, lazy summer days are ending, and school starts next week. Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial start of fall, and I’m pretty sure pumpkin-flavored everything is already stocking shelves at Target, but we taking our time as we transition into fall! You know about our Summer Bucket List by now, and we have had so much fun with it, I think we will just have to make a fall one, too! But for now, let’s talk about some fun, family-friendly things you can get out and do with your kiddos in September!
- It’s still warm out! Get outside and have a water balloon fight. I love to fill up buckets of balloons while the girls are napping or having quiet time, and surprising them! (these water balloons are amazing!)
- Start to think about Halloween costumes!! It’s no secret that we absolutely love Halloween around here, so picking the perfect family costume is a big deal! I love to hear what Peyton wants to be, and figure out fun ways to get the whole family involved (because we just have to make a run for the neighborhood costume contest!)
- Apple picking!! We have a bunch of fun orchards in the area, and absolutely love to go pick apples. Nothing beats a fresh apple for lunch, and Peyton is more apt to eat one if she picked it herself! Making homemade caramel apples will definitely be on our fall bucket list! (oh, and our favorite local orchard also has a winery – so it’s a mega win for me and David!)
- Our zoo has discounted fall rates, so we try to make it there a few times early in the fall. It’s also nice, since it’s not too hot, so the animals are generally pretty active!
- S’mores! Something about sitting around the fire on a crisp evening makes s’mores sound like the perfect snack! While Peyton is our s’mores purist, I love to mix them up! Some of our favorites are: spreading peanut butter on the graham crackers, or using a Reese’s cup instead of a Hershey bar. We also love adding fruit into the mix! Melted marshmallow, chocolate, and strawberries, yum!
- So maybe you have to retire the white skinny jeans, but it’s time to pull out the plaid! I just got this top, and am obsessed already. It’s also a good time to pull out your Hunter boots, and all your fall essentials (like chunky scarves, vests, and over-the-knee socks!)
- Peyton and London have already been collecting the leaves that are starting to fall. One of Peyton’s favorite things to do last fall was to collect as many different leaves as she could, and do leaf rubbings. She spent hours creating different designs, and I have a feeling London will be just as excited. I’m also going to introduce the girls into rubbing bark. You take your crayon and paper outside, and find fun patterns in trees to rub!
And stay on the lookout for our official fall bucket list!!